LEARN HOW TO MAKE THESE DIY FACE MASK WITH EITHER USING SEWING MACHINE OR HAND STITCHING!
This is a simple DIY Face mask you can make at home with the materials you have at hand. You can sew with a machine and if it’s not available, can definitely hand stitch with just a sewing needle and thread.
Disclaimer: These DIY Face Masks do not replace the need for surgical masks or N95 masks. Rather, they are the last resort for when no N95 or surgical masks are available. They are better than no mask at all.
These Face masks can be made with just 2 rectangular pieces of 100% cotton thick woven fabric and 2 pieces of elastic. Let’s see how to make these DIY face mask.
Quick Links to Information in this Post
Materials needed for DIY Face Mask
- 100% cotton thick woven fabric.
For adult size – 2 pieces of 9″x7″ rectangular fabric (9″x6″ also works)
For kids size – 2 pieces of 7″x5″ rectangular fabric
- 1/4″ thick elastic
For adult size – 2 pieces of 7″ length elastic (6″ length elastic also works if you have a small face)
For kids size – 2 pieces of 6″ length elastic
- Pins to hold the fabric
- Sewing machine or just thread and needle for hand stitching
How to make Face Mask
- Take 2 rectangular pieces of 100% cotton thick woven fabric and 2 pieces of elastic as shown. Refer to the size measurements in the Material list.
- Leaving 1/4th inch from the edges of the fabric vertically pin elastic as shown. I used the small clothes pin since I didn’t have any pins with me.
- Put a small stitch on the elastic to hold it in place as shown. This is good if you are a beginner at sewing or Hand stitching.
- Cover the bottom rectangular fabric with the 2nd piece of fabric.
- Now, stitch all the four sides of the fabric leaving a little bit of space on one side of the fabric to reverse it in the next step. Follow the dotted line to stitch. It should look like the picture as shown.
- Reverse the fabric through the opening. Tug on the elastic to straighten the edges. You will stitch the opening in the next few steps.
- Fold the fabric from the top to make 2 pleats as shown in the picture. Pin those pleats to hold it in place.
- Stitch all four sides of the mask leaving 1/4″ from the edges. Ta-dah you have a DIY Face mask to use.
Here are the Adult size and kid size DIY Face Masks. Go ahead and make some for you to use or donate!
WANT TO REMEMBER THIS? SAVE THE DIY FACE MASK TO YOUR FAVORITE CRAFTS/DIY PINTEREST BOARD!