LEARN HOW TO MAKE THIS DIY STAR PAPER FAN FOR HOLIDAYS, FOR PARTIES, WALL ART, CARDS AND MORE WITH THE FREE PATTERN FOR YOU TO USE!
I was invited to teach a class recently in the Holiday Makerfest from Jennifer with 40 more crafters about DIY Star Paper fan. I’m so grateful and overwhelmed with all the responses I have got from this workshop is beyond words!
I chose to teach DIY Star Paper fan for the holidays which is very easy to make, extremely budget friendly and can be a big statement decor. I will give the exact instructions for you to make this Giant Star paper fan and I have free pattern for you to download for medium and small star paper fans to decorate with! Check out my Heart Paper fan tutorial too.
You can use these DIY Star Paper Fans throughout the year to decorate your home. These can be used as
- Party Backdrops
- Hang different sizes Star paper fans from the ceiling
- Gift topper
- Tree topper
- For birthdays, baby showers, decorate a room
- making cards and more!
Let’s take a look at how we can make these.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission but it won’t cost you a penny more)! Read my full disclosure policy.
MATERIALS NEEDED TO MAKE DIY STAR PAPER FANS
- Gift wrap paper or cardstock or colored paper
For Giant Star Paper Fan, paper size is 30″x24″
For Medium and small star paper fans, paper size is 8.5″x11″
- Cutting tools
For Giant Star Paper Fan – Scissor
For Medium and small star paper fans – Scissor or Cricut (any cutting machine)
- Glue gun and glue sticks
- Twist ties or yarn or twine
- DIY Star Paper Fan (medium and small) file to download (You get PDF files to cut with a scissor, SVG files to cut with Cricut, Instructions with measurements for Giant Star Paper fan in PDF format)
HOW TO MAKE GIANT STAR PAPER FAN AND COLORfUL STAR PAPER FANS
- For Giant star paper fan, take a paper size of 30″x24″. For Medium and small paper fans, take a paper size of 8.5″x11″. To make your own size, make sure the ratio is 1.25
- For Giant star paper fan, fold the paper in half which is now, 30″x12″. For Medium and small paper fans download the pattern here (continue from step 9 for medium and small star paper fans)
- Now, draw a horizontal line at the center of the paper as shown.
- Make sure the opening of the paper is towards you to start drawing. (Don’t draw towards the folded edge)
- Mark 1 inch on either side of the length and draw a vertical line to the bottom edge. Now you have 28″ between the vertical lines. Divide that space by 5. It is approximately 5.6″. Draw vertical lines towards the bottom edge at each 5.6 inches.
- Draw the curves as shown in the picture.
- Cut the paper on the curved line as shown.
- Open the paper, it will look like as shown.
- Turn the paper around and start folding in accordion shape.
- Once you fold, tie at the center as shown.
- Now glue the two sides to make it as a star.
Ta-dah! Look at that DIY Star Paper fan! We love to decorate our home with rainbow decorations for holidays.
For more rainbow holiday decorations hop on to
DIY Decoupage ornaments
DIY Tinsel ornament garland
DIY Christmas village
DIY Christmas crayons
Download my DIY Star Paper Fan pattern(medium and small size) by subscribing (free) below to get the password to my Freebies.
WANT TO REMEMBER THIS? SAVE THE DIY STAR PAPER FAN TUTORIAL TO YOUR FAVORITE DIY PINTEREST BOARD!
Thec1.25 confused me. Might you be a little more specific? As I’d like to make some small ones from metallic papers as Christmas ornaments. Thank you.
There is a free printable download in my freebies for small star paper fans. The 1.25 ratio as an example for 24″x30″ is 24×1.25 is 30. So, it is 1:1.25. I hope this helps.
What width for the accordion folds for a medium star?
Half inch folds will work for medium stars.