HOW TO DECLUTTER FAST? LET ME WALK YOU THROUGH THE 5 STEPS TO REMOVE CLUTTER FROM YOUR HOME!
Are you feeling overwhelmed by the chaos of clutter in your home? How to declutter fast in 5 easy steps could be the solution you’re looking for!
I will address the following to make it very easy for you to declutter fast.
- What is decluttering?
- Why you should declutter?
- 5 key steps to remove clutter in your home
- Tips for maintaining a decluttered space
- Answers to FAQ’s to declutter fast
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission but it won’t cost you a penny more)! Read my full disclosure policy.
Quick Links to Information in this Post
What Is Decluttering?
Decluttering is the process of removing unnecessary or unused items from a home or space to create a more organized and harmonious living environment.
It involves carefully assessing belongings and making conscious decisions about what to keep, donate, or discard.
By decluttering, individuals can
- free up physical space
- reduce visual chaos
- reduce the mental burden of excessive belongings
- enhance productivity
- reduce stress and
- promote a sense of tranquility
Why Should You Declutter?
Decluttering is essential for maintaining a
- clean, functional, and stress-free living environment
- to promote mental well-being and productivity
- reduce stress and anxiety, creating a more peaceful and calming atmosphere
- allows for better relaxation and mindfulness to create a more balanced and harmonious lifestyle
Incorporating decluttering methods and home organization techniques can transform a cluttered, chaotic environment into a serene and functional living space.
5 key steps to remove clutter from your home: How To Declutter Fast?
When faced with the need to declutter quickly, it’s important to approach the process systematically and efficiently.
By following a few key steps and strategies, one can effectively achieve the desired results in a shorter timeframe.
1. Set A Timeframe
To declutter quickly, it’s important to have a realistic timeframe for the entire process, breaking it down into manageable steps.
This approach helps individuals stay focused and motivated while making steady progress towards a clutter-free space.
- Assess how much time and energy you have
- Keep a time frame for individual areas to declutter
- Set a timer for the required task
Celebrate small victories to not lose focus and motivation.
2. Start With One Area
Starting the decluttering process by focusing on a single area or room can provide a sense of accomplishment.
- an area with only functionality (like bathroom)
- tackle a single drawer or cabinet
- organize that particular space before moving on
Starting small allows individuals to declutter and organize the space quickly. This will motivate the person to handle bigger tasks in future.
3. Sort Items Into Categories
Categorizing things into different groups based on
- functionality or
- sentiment is a main step in the decluttering process.
When considering the relevance of an item, evaluate how often you use it and whether it serves a purpose in their daily lives.
Assessing the functionality involves whether the item fulfills a practical need or do you have the same items(duplicates) to discard.
Sentimental value plays a crucial role, as items with emotional significance may be harder to part with. This is where most of the time people get stuck and shove everything into their closet.
Start to declutter a space with less sentimental significance like bathroom will help tremendously to keep going with the process.
4. Choose a decluttering method
There are few decluttering methods to follow if you are struggling to make decisions. Few of them are
- Four-Box Method (sort it into 4 boxes)
- Konmari method (remove things that doesn’t bring joy)
- Becker method (room by room decluttering) and so on
Personally, I love ‘Four-Box Method’. It is simple, easy and fast! Get 4 different boxes or bags to categorize your things.
- Keep (You definitely need it)
- Donate (things that are in good condition, doesn’t fit, you don’t like it)
- Sell (has value, good condition, you have duplicates, want to minimize)
- Discard (has no value, don’t want/need)
The ‘Four-Box Method’ gives a sense of control and clarity, making it easier to tackle decluttering tasks with a clear plan and achievable goals. As a result, it helps in reducing clutter and creating a harmonious environment.
5. Create A System For Maintaining A Clutter-Free Space
Establishing an effective organizational system is essential for creating a clutter-free environment in the long term.
I can’t emphasize how important it is to have a space for everything to store to maintain a decluttered space.
- storage solutions
- daily routines, and
- maintenance habits, you can prevent the re-accumulation of unnecessary items.
One of the key aspects of maintaining an organized space is to allocate specific places for items and consistently return them to their designated spots.
Storage solutions like using
- Bins, shelves, and containers
- Using labels
- Creating drop zones
Drop zones are spaces where we dump everyday items such as wallets, keys, bags and few essentials. If we create a system or storage for those spaces, it is easier to maintain and clean regularly.
Incorporating daily routines, such as dedicating a few minutes each day to tidying up, can prevent items from piling up and maintain the organized environment.
Tips For Maintaining A Decluttered Space
Maintaining a decluttered space requires ongoing effort and commitment to prevent the accumulation of clutter.
1. Regularly Re-evaluate Your Belongings
Re evaluate by
- thinking if you need it
- do you have storage space for it
- It it easy to clean and maintain
- are you going to use it regularly
Following the above, reduces stress, anxiety and clutter!
2. Practice The “One In, One Out” Rule
Adopting the ‘One In, One Out’ rule serves as an effective strategy for maintaining a decluttered space by ensuring that every new item brought into the home replaces an existing one. This approach definitely prevents accumulation of possessions.
I also follow another rule in “one” category. If I have not touched it in a year, I will not need/want it (not applicable to seasonal items). Either plan to donate, sell or discard those items!
3. Avoid Impulse Purchases
Curbing impulsive buying habits is essential in maintaining a decluttered space, as it helps prevent buying unnecessary items and creating clutter.
By mindfully evaluating the necessity and longevity of potential purchases, you can significantly reduce the accumulation of items that may eventually contribute to clutter.
You see someone promoting something or you like something, try to think the following,
- do you immediately need it
- is this in your budget for that time
- are you replacing it for something else (one in-one out method)
- do you have storage or a place for the item
If not, put it in the online cart and see if you still need it after a few days. Most probably you will even forget about it! Avoiding impulse purchases is essential to maintain a decluttered space.
4. Have A Designated Place For Everything
Assigning specific locations for items and maintaining consistent organizational habits supports the maintenance of a decluttered space.
By ensuring that everything has a designated place, based on your daily routines can reduce the likelihood of clutter accumulation.
Incorporating storage solutions, creating drop zones can contribute to optimizing space and keeping items organized. It’s also beneficial to declutter regularly, eliminating items that are no longer needed or used.
By implementing these strategies, individuals can create a more functional and aesthetically pleasing living environment, promoting a sense of calm and order.
5. Schedule Regular Decluttering Sessions
Setting aside dedicated time for decluttering also aids in maintaining a balanced living environment, which promotes sense of peace and relaxation.
Regular decluttering sessions serve as preventive measures against overwhelming mess, reducing the need for extensive clean-ups and minimizing stress.
Answers to FAQ’s to declutter fast
1. Where should I start?
To declutter fast,
- start by focusing on one area at a time. This could be a specific room, a closet, or even just a countertop
- My suggestion would be to start with a smallest bathroom in your home
- By breaking it down into smaller tasks, it will feel more manageable and you will see progress quickly.
2. What should I do with items I no longer want?
When decluttering, it’s important to have a plan for items you no longer want.
- You can donate them to a charity,
- sell them online, or
- give them away to friends and family.
Just make sure to get rid of them as soon as possible to avoid cluttering up your space again.
3. Can I involve my family in the process?
Yes, please! In fact, involving your family can make decluttering faster and more efficient.
Assign each family member a specific task or area to focus on. You can also make it into a game or offer rewards for helping out.
I also suggest that if you can afford, hire home organizers in your area for the first few major decluttering tasks. Once you have a system in place, it is always easy to maintain!
4. Should I buy storage containers before decluttering?
I would’t recommend it till you categorize and have a plan for the items.
This way, you will have a better idea of what items you need to store and how much space you have for them. Plus, decluttering may free up storage space you didn’t know you had.
It’s best to wait until after decluttering to purchase storage containers unless you have a plan to dedicate a whole day to declutter a particular space and want to organize immediately!
I know this, since I did declutter my basement filled with 45 boxes and organized everything in 10 hrs! I did have a lot of help!
5. How do I decide what to keep and what to get rid of?
A helpful rule of thumb is to ask yourself if you have used or needed the item in the past year. If the answer is no, it’s probably safe to let it go.
You can also ask yourself if the item serves a purpose in your life. If not, it’s time to say goodbye.
6. Can I maintain a clutter-free space after decluttering?
Absolutely! To maintain a clutter-free space, make sure to have designated places for all of your belongings.
Take a few minutes each day to put things back in their designated spots. Also, regularly declutter and reassess your belongings to prevent clutter from building up again.
I hope this comprehensive guide can help you declutter fast in 5 easy steps to create a harmonious, balanced and a stress free home for you!
WANT TO REMEMBER THIS? SAVE HOW TO DECLUTTER FAST TO YOUR FAVORITE HOME DECOR PINTEREST BOARD!